top of page


St. Florin’s Cathedral, Vaduz

History of the cathedral

Since the Middle Ages, there had been a chapel in Vaduz dedicated to Saint Florinus and ministered by a priest from the neighbouring parish of Schaan since about 1250. When the chapel, which does not exist anymore, had become too small and derelict, the parish church of Saint Florin in Vaduz was built in 1873 by Prince Johann II “the Good” of Liechtenstein; thus, on October 5th 1873, Vaduz became a separate parish. In 1997, the church was raised to the status of cathedral of the newly erected Archdiocese of Vaduz headed by Archbishop Wolfgang Haas. The Neo-Gothic building funded by the Prince of Liechtenstein and the Municipality of Vaduz was built according to plans by the German-born Viennese architect Friedrich von Schmidt and another Viennese architect, Ignaz Bankó, was in charge of construction site management. The current state is due to the comprehensive interior renovation overseen by the Reverend Ludwig Schnüriger from 1965 to 1968.


Liturgies at the Cathedral


Sunday and Feast Days:          8.00 AM Holy Mass
                                                    9.30 AM High Mass
                                                    5.00 PM Vespers

Monday:               6.30 PM Confessions, Rosary
                               7.00 PM Holy Mass

Wednesday:         6.30 PM Confessions
                               7.00 PM Holy Mass

Thursday:             6.30 PM Rosary

Friday:                  6.00 PM Eucharistic Adoration
                               7.00 PM Holy Mass

Saturday:              8.00 AM Holy Mass
                               5.00 PM Confessions
                               6.00 PM Evening Mass

Open everyday:  7.30 AM - 8.00 PM

The chancel

According to Catholic building traditions, Vaduz Cathedral was built looking eastward, to the Orient: it is oriented. Thus, the sun rising behind the central window on Sunday morning is a symbol of the resurrection of Jesus Christ.

As in any Roman Catholic church, the centrepiece of the cathedral is the tabernacle at the high altar, where Jesus Christ is present incarnate in the Holy Eucharist.

The chancel windows designed by Martin Häusle are darker than those in the nave on purpose and show biblical scenes from the Old and the New Testament. Below the central window there is the high altar with representations of the four Evangelists and their symbols as well as Saints John (the Baptist) and Florentius on the sides. At the wall next to it there are Baroque statues of the Princes of the Apostles, Saints Peter and Paul. Since 1965 there is also a free-standing altar further toward the entrance.

On the south side of the chancel there is the Prince’s box, a small lateral oratory where the princely family attends church service.

The cathedra, the bishop’s throne to which the cathedral owes its name, was built on the north side in 2010.

To the sides of the stairs leading to the chancel there are the ambo for the proclamation of the Gospel (south side) and the pulpit for the sermon (north side).

The nave

To the south of the chancel, next to the small lateral door, there is the Altar of Our Lady. In the reliquary below the statue of the Holy Virgin Mary dating from the 15th/16th century some of the cathedral’s relics are shown.

To the north of the chancel there is the baptismal font, with God the Father (dating from about 1650) and the Holy Ghost represented above. In the church there are several images of saints: Saint Anne in her capacity of patron saint of the Vaduz fraternity dedicated to her and opposite Saint Christopher; the Coronation of Mary as well as Saints Anthony and Jude the Apostle and, last but not least, the Stations of the Cross created in 1966/67.

The keystones of the vaulted ceiling show different symbols of Christ and His redeeming sacrifice. Starting from the entrance (above the pipe organ) they are:
- a unicorn as the symbol of the virginity of Mary, Mother of God;
- a Phoenix rising from the fire;
- a lion which, according to ancient tradition, breathes new life into its stillborn cubs;
- a pelican which, also according to ancient tradition, shares its own blood with her young;
- the Lamb of God with the banner of Christ;
- and finally (in the chancel) the Pantocrator, Jesus Christ ruling the world.


The construction of the cathedral’s organ in 1872-74 was overseen by the Vaduz composer Josef Gabriel Rheinberger, and thus it bears his name: Rheinberger’s organ.

For the inauguration of the cathedral, the Prince donated four bells dedicated to different saints (John, the Mother of God, Lucius, Florinus). In 1965, two bells were added: a smaller Guardian Angel’s Bell and the largest bell, weighing more than 6 tonnes and honouring the Holy Trinity.

Our patron: Saint Florinus

At the portal of the cathedral, below the organ gallery, there is a niche on the north side with a reliquary bust of Saint Florinus. The cathedral’s patron saint lived during the 7th century, was raised in Matsch in Vinschgau / Mazia in Val Venosta (South Tyrol, now in Italy) and was the parish priest of Remüs (now Ramosch). Legend has it that during his apprenticeship he had to take a jug of wine from the castle to the priest when he met a poor woman asking for help for her sick husband. Moved by compassion, he gave her his wine and, with great trust in God, he filled his jug with water. When he was meant to pour it, it had turned to wine by the Grace of God.

The emblem of Vaduz Parish, designed by the Reverend Ludwig Schnüriger, also reminds us of the Florinus legend: a chalice with the colours of Vaduz, red and white, reversed.

At the niche with the reliquary of the saint you may light a candle and ask for his intercession:

Saint Florinus, pray for us!

The cathedral’s surroundings

A two-armed perron leads to the main portal of the cathedral. Below it, since 1961, there are bronze sculptures by Hans von Matt representing Mary, Mother of God with the newborn and the deceased Son of God, Jesus Christ.

At the gravel-covered square next to the cathedral there is the Princes’ Crypt, built in 1958-60 as the burial vault for the princely family. The entrance to the vault lies behind a bronze portal with a relief representation of the Awakening of Lazarus. It is open to the public for remembrance every year on All Saints’ Day (1st November).

bottom of page